Ontic Ethics — New Book from Hollis Garrett Wright

Wright Ontic EthicsDr. Hollis Garrett Wright (UO PhD in Philosophy, Spring 2002) has published his second book Ontic Ethics: Exploring the Influence of Caring on Being (Rowman & Littlefield, April 2016).

Author’s Statement:
“I claim that there is grounding for an ethics of care in the ontololgy of the self. If anyone in the department is interested in the intersection of ethics and metaphysics, and still hopes for an ontological grounding for virtue ethics, the preface and the first chapter can be found on Google Books under H. G. Wright Ontic Ethics. With this book I complete a long circle that started when I was an undergraduate in philosophy. I decided that I was too bookish and would need a career outside of academia in order to understand life and philosophy better. So I went to medical school and had a wonderful, varied 40 year career in medicine. I came back to philosophy for a graduate degree at U. of O. Since then I have volunteered for a free clinic and taught biology and philosophy at a college and a nursing school. Now I am completely retired except that I still read philosophy and am reviving an old love, music.”

For more information, visit the publisher’s website:
https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781498520119/Ontic-Ethics-Exploring-the-Influence-of-Caring-on-Being#